[seqfan] cluster of comments of records in syllable count of American English names of numbers

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 02:44:21 CEST 2009

I'm not sure the best way to make this cluster of comments.

Comparing A002810  	Smallest number requiring n syllables in English.
with A045736  Smallest positive integer requiring n syllables to
pronounce in American English.

(1) They primarily differ in the use or non-use of "and" in name,
with, for example, A002810(6) = 107 because "one hundred and seven"
versus A045736(6) = 111 because "one hundred eleven."

(2) Only the title of A045736 Smallest POSITIVE integer explains why
neither seq gives a(2) = 0 because "zero."

(3) There are breakpoints requiring caution in creating b-lists for
either, at "quadrillion" (3 syllables), "undecillion" (4 syllables),
and "duodecillion" (5 syllables). For example, I have (and am not 100%
sure) that
A045736(50) = 1,007,777,777,777,777
A045736(60) = 27,777,777,777,777,777
and that
A045736(66) = (10^66) + 77,777,777,777,777,777 because "one
undecillion" has 5 syllables.

Best,

Jonathan Vos Post

p.s. I still don't know at which Los Angeles area high school I'll be
full-time Math teacher as of the start of September, completing my
paycut from Math Professor.  These letter-count and syllable-count
(and chisel-stroke count) sequences are, I've found, quite useful in
explaining in a student-disovered way the levels of abstraction
between number, name of number, spoken or written representation of
name of number.