[seqfan] Re: LRS formulas for n>=...?

rhhardin at att.net rhhardin at att.net
Sun Aug 2 17:16:13 CEST 2009

Of course that automatic detection is what I would be doing, if I included
the recurrence, because I detect it automatically as well.  (The actual
calculation for my series is essentially brute force enumeration.)

But surely unverified truth turns up all over; somebody enumerates out
a series, and somebody else comes up with the same series on a different
problem, and so adds a comment rather than submit his series, even if he
has fewer terms; or he may add terms as well as the comment.

Now there are two problems with the same series, and the series is extended
by either problem, without anybody checking it applies for the other.

I think you have to just judge the odds: how many terms with how many
digits, and what are the chances this is accidental.

If your judgment is good, it works for both problems.

The real difficulty is can you automatically judge the chances.
rhhardin at mindspring.com
rhhardin at att.net (either)

From: Richard Mathar <mathar at strw.leidenuniv.nl>