[seqfan] Re: Rant on Maple code

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Aug 13 16:52:23 CEST 2009

I take full responsibility for all those programs.

Joerg suggests removing all the "with(finance)" Maple codes.

I do not agree.  Some provide one-line programs
for sequences that would otherwise not have a Maple program.

The reason I accept a wide variety of programs is obvious.
This is a way of "reverse engineering" sequences.
You find a piece of code that can produce integer sequences.
You run it, compare the output with the OEIS, and
if there is a match you send in the program.

In this way we may sometimes find explanations for
sequences that were not known before.

We have had discussions like this many times before on
this mailing list (e.g. with respect to the conjectured
formulas in Simon Plouffe's thesis)

Neil Sloane