[seqfan] Asymptotic pattern in columns of "A005646 triangle"

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:17:00 CET 2009

Franklin,

Your questions about the bottom of each column are interesting. I take it
that you are interested in seeing if there is asymptotic behaviour to the
bottom-most J terms of column J, or something like that. The result would be
similar to the appearance of the first J Catalan numbers (A000108) in row J
of the height-limited binary trees (A052154 and A137560, which are also
"Mandelbrot-related polynomials", see
http://mrob.com/pub/math/seq-a052154.html#trees )

Those columns definitely seem a bit hard to study computationally, as you
pointed out, because the relation N<=2^R allows N to grow so quickly. We
need to answer the questions:

   What are the most number of objects that can be classified with the union
of R binary partitions? (Simple, 2^R and in exactly one way)

   Considering the near-misses 2^R-1, 2^R-2, etc, and how many ways can sets
of each of those sizes be classified by R partitions?

(And thanks for the web-page correction, always appreciated!)

--
 Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com