[seqfan] Re: A139414

Andrew Plewe andrew at nevercenter.com
Fri Feb 6 15:01:47 CET 2009

Google's raking system has spawned a whole industry -- "search engine
optimization". Definitely one of the blacker arts in the otherwise
staid world of e-commerce. Their ranking is apparently a stew of
inbound links, the "relevance" of the content on the page compared
with META tag info, etc. Websites get flagged if they're questionable
(a.k.a. "Google spam", which they don't always catch), and then some
poor soul has to go review it and determine if it should be included
in the search results.

My point is you can only get so far with "automatic" measures (and
that includes ranking) for judging the worthiness of suspect content
-- at some point a real person has to intervene.

	-Andrew Plewe-