[seqfan] Re: New logos needed for OEIS

Peter Luschny peter.luschny at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:07:40 CET 2009

NJAS: ...  we will need one or two new logos! .. Probably it
should say OEIS, with maybe some numbers?

I have no answer. But I like the question.
Wikipedia opens the article on "number":

"A number is a mathematical object used in counting
and measuring. A notational symbol which represents
a number is called a numeral, ..."

Then I opened the wonderful book of Georges Ifrah
"Histoire Universelle des Chiffres", Seghers
(Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
http://linealis.org/spip.php?article15
and found so many extremely beautiful
representations of numbers and sequences
of numbers which all would be an adornment
for OEIS. But maybe a little too poetic for an
online-encyclopaedia.

A modern variant which gives a symbolic idea
of what OEIS is for me I found at mathworld
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/eps-gif/SchroderNumber_800.gif

However, the seven days before Ash Wednesday begin
tomorrow and so I dare to add another suggestion:
Since a well chosen logo should not only represent
numbers but also the editor and maintainer:
www.funbrain.com/guess/magic.gif

Cheers, Peter