[seqfan] RE : Re: Glass worms

Eric Angelini Eric.Angelini at kntv.be
Tue Mar 10 00:29:18 CET 2009

Thank you for yr remarks, Mitch -- and the interesting links provided.
My idea came after the re-discovery of this sequence, two days ago:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A137417 <http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A137417>

>they all end in a cycle

... no, 3 or 14 or 125 die (if an integer m has at least one digit >= the length of m, death is the result -- as you cannot empty a glass elsewhere than in an existing glass -- I should have mentionned that rule)

... you are right for the other integers -- they all loop [but still W(1) and W(2) would be interesting to compute, I guess]

... I like Jacques Tramu's remark about the "worst cycles" too!

... and I think we should invent a rule for glasses having more than 9 liquid-units (those glasses cannot be part of an integer as the string of characters would be ambiguous -- the number of characters being > to the number of glasses)

Thanks again for yr msg,

Best,

E.