[seqfan] editing questions

Douglas McNeil d.mcneil at qmul.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 21:07:35 CET 2009

Hi!

I've only started to dabble with the OEIS, and had a couple of questions
about editing.  I couldn't find answers to them written down anywhere, and
I couldn't abstract a rule from the handful of similar cases I found.
I'd like to know current practice before I go stepping in flowerbeds out
of ignorance..

Q: I found an error in the n-th term of a sequence and can't determine the
correct value, though I suspect one exists.  The later terms are correct,
but if I simply remove the incorrect value and leave them there then the
indices will be off by one; the sequence is a list of function values, not
merely a set.  How should I edit this?

Q, not unrelated: Is there a standard way of dealing with missing values?

Q: There's a recently added sequence which doesn't seem well-defined-- I
don't see any easy way to determine if a number belongs to the sequence or
not.  There's a modification of the definition, however, which would
render it easily decidable and keep all the known values the same, but it
would be a different sequence if my guess about how the sequence behaves
is wrong.  Is major surgery of this kind accepted (on newish sequences on
which little depends, at least)?

Doug

--
Queen Mary College, University of London      "Still creating worlds..
Mathematical Sciences, Astronomy Unit          .. but now with an accent!"