[seqfan] Re: Another surprising omission from OEIS

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 12:44:01 CET 2009

Sorry for beating this subject to death, but I don't think I
adequately articulated why I imposed x>0 in...

 x*b^0 + x*b^1 + x*b^2 + ... + x*b^k, where x>0, b>x, k>1

One could argue that the x>0 restraint that I have put into the
formula is artificial and that excluding
this restraint allows 0 to be admitted into the sequence. What I was
really trying to capture, was that
the highest position of a non-zero coefficient for the powers of b is
is one way to define the length,
and in the definition of the sequence, length is required to be
greater than 2. So whether 0 is included
really comes down to how we define length. Is length the number of
symbols in a string? Or is it 1 plus
the highest power of b with a non-zero coefficient? (the latter leaves
the length of zero undefined)
Or something else? And if it is the number of symbols in a string, do
we permit leading zeros?

This sequence aside, there are several instances where it would be
more convenient to consider 0
to have 0 digits rather than 1 digit.

I'm still somewhat neutral on whether to include 0, and would like to
hear some other thoughts on this question.

Andrew