[seqfan] Re: Another surprising omission from OEIS

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Wed Nov 11 14:52:18 CET 2009

Andrew Weimholt <andrew.weimholt at gmail.com> wrote:
:I'm still somewhat neutral on whether to include 0, and would like to
:hear some other thoughts on this question.

There are two distinct sequences, identical in all respects except for
inclusion of zero.

Which is "more natural"? Depends how you're looking at it - from an
algebraic point of view, there is no reason to exclude x=0; from
a "repunit" point of view there is (since it appeals to "how we write
numbers" rather than to intrinsic mathematical properties).

So I'd include zero to ensure that someone foolish enough to include it
in their search terms would find the sequence, and add a comment to clarify
the nature of the two sequences represented.

Hugo