[seqfan] Re: A family of quadratic recurrences

A.N.W.Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 16:53:06 CEST 2009

Further to Jaume's question, these recurrences are also related to a generalization of the Hurwitz equation
in L variables, which in turn is a generalization of Markoff's equation (L=3). This gives a simple
direct proof that the recurrence has the Laurent property, and hence that the sequence has only integers, as follows:

The generalized Hurwitz equation in question is

\sum_j x_j^2  +  \sum_{j<k} x_j x_k = N \prod_j x_j,      ----(*)

where all sums here run from 1 to L, and N is a parameter. The equation (*) defines a hypersurface in
L-dimensional space (\mathbb{C}^L, \mathbb{R}^L,\mathbb{Q}^L,... depending on which field
you want to work in).

The hypersurface (*) is invariant under the action of the permutation group S_L, corresponding
to permutations of the coordinates. It is also invariant under the involution I which leaves L-1 of the
coordinates, say x_2,...,x_L, the same but replaces one of them, say x_1, by \hat{x}_1, where
\hat{x}_1 is the conjugate root to x_1 of the equation (*), considered as a quadratic in x_1.

By the formula for the product and sum of roots of a quadratic, there are two (rational) formulae for
\hat{x}_1, namely:

I_1:     \hat{x}_1 x_1 = \sum ' _j  x_j^2  +  \sum ' _{j<k} x_j x_k,

and

I_2:    \hat{x}_1 +  x_1 = - \sum ' _j  x_j  +  N \prod ' _{j} x_j ,

where the dash on the sum/product denotes that the indices j,k are excluded from taking the value 1.
Moreover, each of the formulae above lift to birational involutions on L-dimensional space. Now consider
the birational map defined by the composition of I_1 followed by a cyclic permutation of the
coordinates, whose overall effect is

(x_1,x_2, \ldots , x_L)   \mapsto   (x_2,x_3, \ldots , \hat{x}_1).

Repeated application of this map is exactly equivalent to iteration of the recurrence

a_{n+L} a_n  = \sum ' _j  a_{n+j}^2   +  \sum ' _{j<k} a_{n+j} a_{n+k},  ----(R1)

(where ' denotes indices running from 1 to L-1 only). From the above discussion, it should be clear
that the rational quantity

K_n = (\sum_j  a_{n+j}^2   +  \sum_{j<k} a_{n+j} a_{n+k}) / \prod_j a_{n+j}

(indices run from 0 to L-1) is an invariant of the recurrence i.e. K_{n+1}=K_n for all n.
Thus if the value K_0 = N is fixed by the initial data a_0,a_1,\ldots,a_{L-1},
then any set of adjacent L iterates (a_n,a_{n+1},\ldots,a_{n+L-1}) lie on the hypersurface (*).

To see the Laurent property, observe that once the value of N has been fixed for n=0, then
(using I_2) subsequent iterates also satisfy the recurrence

a_{n+L} + a_n =   - \sum ' _j  a_{n+j}  +  N \prod ' _{j} a_{n+j}.  -----(R2)

Now N=K_0 is a Laurent polynomial in the initial data, and since (R2) defines
a_{n+L} as a polynomial in a_n,...,a_{n+L-1} and N, by induction all
terms of the sequence are Laurent polynomials in the initial data a_0,...,a_{L-1}.

For the case of the integer sequence defined by iterating (R1) starting from L ones,
the value of N=L + L(L-1)/2=L(L+1)/2, so one gets an infinite sequence of
integer points on the hypersurface (*) with this value of (N).

Incidentally, to respond to Charles Greathouse's comment about these double-exponentially growing
recurrences, in this case one can generate the terms of the sequence much more quickly using (R2)
with N=L(L+1)/2, because this (polynomial) recurrence only involves +/- and multiplications,
avoiding the costly divisions in (R1).

Best wishes,
Andy

P.S. There are several ways to generalize (*) to get other recurrences of a similar type. For example,
premultiply the term with \sum_{j<k} by an arbitrary (integer) parameter, add on a term of the
form C \sum_j x_j for some (integer) parameter C, and add on a constant D to the left hand side
of (*). Mutatis mutandis all the above arguments apply to such an equation, and will generate
families of double-exponentially growing integer sequences.