[seqfan] Re: A family of quadratic recurrences

A.N.W.Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 11:53:46 CEST 2009

Hi seqfans -

The fact that these sequences consist entirely of integers follows from Theoreom 1.10 in
Fomin and Zelevinsky's article "The Laurent Phenomenon", Advances in Applied Mathematics,
Volume 28 ,  Issue 2  (February 2002) Pages: 119 - 144  which is available on the arxiv at

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0104/0104241v1.pdf

These recurrences satisfy the Laurent property, which means that the iterates are
polynomials in the initial values (say a(0),a(1),...,a(L-1)) with integer coefficients.
So setting all L initial values to 1 gives an integer sequence.

These particular ones may also be related to generalized Hurwitz equations, studied by Baragar, Zagier
and others, but I'd need to check that.

Andy