[seqfan] Re: Switching Binary Digits And Runs Of Digits

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 17:53:31 CEST 2009

I don't have much time, so I will reply without understanding whether
it is a coincidence that for
START = [0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1]
and END = [1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0],
B(START) is the bitwise inverse of END (and reciprocally...)

Starting out from START and doing
A2, B, A3, B, A11, B, A4, B
I got  B( START ).

So I tried
B(START) , A"-2", B, A"-3", B, A2 (=A"-11"), B, A"-4", B
which indeed gives B.
(in the above, A"-k" means to do A[n+1-k] where n is the length of the string).

The idea which led to the solution was to produce the required run lengths.

But I don't know if this would always work.
(I think this is interesting ; if it is possible to construct two
strings that cannnot be transformed one into the other, then it should
be possible to define some "invariant" which remains constant under
the two transformations (or at least under A[k] o B ) and which would
allow to know when S1 cannot be transformed into S2.)
Unfortunately I don't have the time to think further about this today.

Maximilian

A(x,b)={ b<0 & b=#x+1+b; x[b]=!x[b]; x }
B(x, L=[1], S)={ for( i=2,#x, x[i]==x[i-1] & L[#L]++ & next;
L=concat(L,1)); S=Set(L);
x=!x[1]; concat( vector( #L, i, x=!x; vector( eval(S[#S+1-setsearch(