[seqfan] Re: author field

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Wed Oct 28 17:23:39 CET 2009

I like "contributor".

> Also "Program" (for %o lines) should really
> be "Other programs"  or "Programs in other languages"
> where "other" means neither Maple nor Mathematica
>
> Of course we could also distinguish programs
> in the other principal languages like C, Pari, Magma, etc.,
> but that would require a lot more work. (At present these
> are all lumped together in %o lines)

An exhaustive search of the database %p, %t, and %o lines about a year
ago showed that about 30% of the programs were in each of Mathematica,
Maple, and Pari with no other programs accounting for more than 2%.  I
was surprised by the evenness of the split.

I would like to see better coding of programs, though.  For many
languages, though, it's not easy: there are programs in particular
language dialects, and it's not clear whether they would run in other
dialects or not.  Also many languages do not have a standard form --
just search for variants on VB for an example.  (Maybe I should try to
find the spreadsheet with my results!)

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University