[seqfan] Re: Prime and composite walks concatenated

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Mon Apr 26 17:55:10 CEST 2010

I'm starting to think that neither the original sequence nor its
Cramér analogue is recurrent.  A normal two-dimensional walk comes
close to the origin infinitely often, and since its step sizes are
constant it hits the origin infinitely often.  This sequence probably
(absent Shanks-Rényi type bias) also comes close* to the origin
infinitely often, but because of its increasing step sizes is rather
unlikely to land precisely on the axes.

Would someone more familiar with random walks like to take a stab at
proving this in a random model, either 50% left/50% right or 1/log n
left/otherwise right?

* Relative to its step size.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer