[seqfan] Re: cat: write error: File too large

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:22:02 CEST 2010

The error "write error: File too large" is given when some client of stdio
(in this case the client is /bin/cat) tries to write to a file whose file
size exceeds 2^31 bytes.

You fix it by getting tools (shell and/or individual commands) that have
been compiled with largefile support, or by dealing with the large file in
some other way.

In this case, I recommend someone with access to the server look around on
the server for a file that close to or larger than 2^31 bytes. It shouldn't
be too hard to find. I use a perl script that reads "find / -print", tests
(-s $pathname) on each pathname and compares to the size cutoff of interest.
The file is probably some kind of logfile and the fix is to break it up into
pieces.

--
 Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com