[seqfan] Re: editing in the OEIS wiki

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Sun May 30 17:56:06 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 2:12 PM, N. J. A. Sloane <njas at research.att.com> wrote:

> I am not yet used to editing wiki pages.  Does anyone know how
> to do simple "ed"-type edits?

On server side, the "editing" window is just sent as an HTML < textarea >,
it's up to your browser to provide editing functions, maybe via
plugins if not available by default. E.g. for Firefox I just found
(google "firefox find & replace")
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6510/

(I don't know. if there's an add-on for ed-style commands available.
Probably there are too many conflicts between usual browser shortcuts
(e.g. Ctrl-S = Save, not search ...) to make ed/emacs syle commands
possible.)

To provide such editing functions, it could also be possible to use javascript.
There are "rich text" editors available which also allow to see the
text in WYSIWYG instead of markup ; they could be added to the OEIS
via the definition of the "skins".

I did not know about existence of the "replace" plugin prior to
answering this e-mail, so what I do is to

1) copy the "replace" text into the clipboard (e.g. make the change
somewhere, double-click the word & type Ctrl-C)

2) select the word to replace (e.g. Ctrl-Z to undo the change, then
double click the (bad) word again), and hit Ctrl-F to put it into the
"search buffer" (so to speak...)

3) successively hit Ctrl-G to go to the next occurrence of the "bad"
word, and  Ctrl-V to replace it (now highlighted) by pasting the good
one at its place.

Hope that helps.

Maximilian

PS: A global change throughout the database should be possible via an SQL query.