[seqfan] Cleaning up cross-references to recycled sequences - can this be automated?

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:04:55 CET 2011

I recently suggested that a new sequence be split into two sequences.
The author followed that suggestion and the original sequence was
subsequently recycled by other editors.
However, the author had also added cross-references to the
now-recycled sequence to several other of his sequences.
I corrected the cross-references in one sequence (replacing the
recycled sequence number with the two new sequence numbers).
I have emailed the author and asked him to correct his own
cross-references in the remainder of the sequences.

It would be nice to have an automated method for doing this.
When a sequence is recycled, there could be an automated search for
cross-references in other sequences,
and these cross-references could be removed automatically, or the
editor can be prompted to enter one or more new sequence numbers
with which to replace the recycled sequence number. Another
alternative would be to simply add a automated pink-box comment to
the affected sequences and mark them for review.

As most recycled sequences will probably be new submissions, we
wouldn't expect to have a long list of affected sequences.

Andrew