[seqfan] Re: successive powers of 2 modulo n

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:17:56 CEST 2011

David,

Even a very large prime is still finite. Let's say p is a titanic prime.
There are only (p – 1) possibilities for 2^n mod p. Using Fermat's "little"
theorem you can probably reduce this further still. The number of possible
combinations of (p – 1) or fewer possibilities might be a rather large
number, but certainly not infinity. From this I think you can figure out the
proof on your own or recall where you have seen it.

And instead of Wikipedia look at the MathWorld article linked from its
external links section. With the latter, you don't have to worry about
someone pranking you with planted falsehoods (or worse, innocent
misunderstandings). If you still need convincing Mathworld is much, much
better, consider that the Mathworld article has links to several sequences
in the OEIS.

Al