[seqfan] Re: Your A051217 Nonnegative numbers of the form 6^x-y^2.

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Nov 14 06:04:00 CET 2011

I would most certainly take game 1. I would rate the probability that
there is some regularity we have no inkling of that makes hitting
particular values more likely at about 10^-4; if the probability of
hitting a value in the published range is then, say, 10^-10, that still
gives you a 10^-14 chance of losing - much worse than the other game.
Even if the probability of such a regularity is 10^-20, your odds are
much worse in game 2.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters

P.S. This is of course not counting the Monty Hall effect. If the devil
gives you that choice, you can be pretty sure that he knows something
that you don't.