[seqfan] Re: "see Mathematica program for definition"

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Oct 24 20:12:58 CEST 2011

I have one real problem with the way Peter has identified orderings of
partitions, both in the referenced link and in existing OEIS entries.
That is that he has conflated the ordering of the partitions with the
ordering of the parts of each partition. Changing the ordering of the
parts does not change the partition itself. Thus, assuming his basic
nomenclature is used, I would describe http://oeis.org/A036036
something like "graded colexigraphic ordering with reflected
presentation".

I do think the main orderings should be identified by names. The
average user of the OEIS, seeing "graded colexigraphic ordering", is
not going to know what this means. He may not know what the name means,
either, but he can at least remember the name while looking up its
meaning.

I originally suggested the names "Abramowitz & Stegun" and
"Mathematica" since they were the sources available to me at that
point. No one raised any objections at the time. I don't particularly
like either name, especially the "Mathematica".

So what should these be named?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters