[seqfan] Re: Occupancy count maps perfect squares

Giovanni Resta g.resta at iit.cnr.it
Mon Dec 17 08:47:22 CET 2012

On 12/16/2012 07:43 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> The top corner of this problem seems to have even columns equal to perfect
> squares, as far as it's been computed.
>
> Can it be seen why this might be?
>
> T(n,k)=Number of nXk arrays of occupancy after each element moves to some
> horizontal, diagonal or antidiagonal neighbor

Honestly, I do not understand what do you mean with that definition.
At a certain point I thought you mean
"start with a matrix n x k filled with ones and count
how many configuration can be obtained if every one can be
moved (added) to a neighbouring cell.

Hover, if that was the case, I would expect a symmetric table of result,
so I'm baffled.
Could you please give me a "for-dumbs" definition of the problem ?

Thanks,
Giovanni