[seqfan] Re: Any algorithm for sign of sums of square roots?

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 16:03:59 CET 2012

I think a general approach would be:
1) construct (iteratively, adding square roots to the expression one
by one) a polynomial with integer coefficients having the given sum as
a root, and then
2) use Sturm theorem and dichotomy to isolate the roots of the
constructed polynomial from 0, i.e., determine intervals (not
containing 0) of its real roots:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm_theorem

Regards,
Max