[seqfan] Re: A051264 == A050278 ?

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jan 9 23:46:27 CET 2012

Ross Honsberger, More Math.. Morsels, MAA, 1991, p.15, reads

Morsel 6   Persistent Numbers   If a positive integer $k$
contains all ten digits, 0, 1, 2,\ldots, 9, and this property
persists through all its mutiples $k$, $2k$, $3k$, \ldots, then
$k$ is said to be a {\em persistent} number. It turns out that
there are no persistent numbers: the demand for persistence
through {\em all} multiples is just too much to ask.  An
unbroken initial run of successes, however, does not go
unrecognized; if the first $n$ multiples $k$, $2k$, \ldots, $nk$,
each contain all ten digits, then $k$ is awarded the distinction
of being called {\em n-persistent}.  For example, $k=1234567890$
is 2-persistent because $2k=2468135780, but not 3-persistent,
in view of $3k=3703703670$.

Some integers manage to hold out for a long time; the number
$k=526315789473684210$ is 18-persistent, but not 19-persistent.

Prove that there exists at least one $n$-persistent number for
each positive integer $n$.

R.