[seqfan] Broadening involvement

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Sat Jun 9 01:17:23 CEST 2012

Sequence fans, I've been pondering ways to increase the representation of
fields in the OEIS.

Combinatorics, number theory, recreational math, and computer science are
well-represented, as are a few others. But other fields of math have much
less, and outside of math (biology, chemistry, economics, physics, ...)
there is very little. Perhaps well-defined integer sequences are simply
hard to find outside of these few fields. But the thesis is dubious -- I've
seen at least two papers devoted exclusively to an integer sequence
published in anthropology journals, and I recall an ornithology paper about
combinatorial syntax of songbirds.  More likely, I think, is that people in
other fields are unaware (or less-aware) of the OEIS.

Probably this is self-reinforcing: if there were more such sequences others
would find the OEIS more useful and be more likely to read it -- and
contribute to it -- in the future.  So how can we get from here to there?

Charles Greathouse
Programmer/Analyst
Case Western Reserve University

--