[seqfan] Re: partitions of a circle

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Thu May 10 04:14:53 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:
> PS No progress by anyone on the question (number
> of ways to partition a circle into n parts), so I will
> mention that the V-Z paper is available from Tudor Zamfirescu's home page,
> http://tzamfirescu.tricube.de/, see item 62.
> The fifteen ways of partitioning a circle into 4 parts
> are shown on the second page.
> What is the next term?
>

>> The 4 ways to cut a circle into 3 pieces are:
>> 1. draw 2 parallel chords in a circle
>> 2. draw a T in a circle
>> 3. draw a Y in a circle
>> 4. draw a V in a circle
>>
>> Neil
>> --

I don't know what the rules are as I am a little weak on my French, but from
looking at the 15 diagrams in the paper, it appears to me that drawing a 'T'
and drawing a 'Y' are not considered distinct. The second of the 15 circles
in the paper has a T and one additional chord, but there is no circle with
a 'Y' and one additional chord.

Andrew