[seqfan] Re: Wanted: suggestions of new sequences for poster

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Sun Nov 25 09:31:50 CET 2012

Here is an idea for plotting sequences in 2d.

Chose a bijection f: N^2 -> N (I experimented with Cantor pairing).
Set the "value" of (x,y) to a( f(x,y) ).
Interpret the "value" as color. If working with grayscale,
smaller is darker. You can map to RGB or HSV.
Probably sequences with small range are better.

I experimented with a(n):  n mod 2, n mod 5, is_prime(n), sigma_0(n)
and in sigma_0(n) got diagonal structure that if true is strange to me.

Here are some examples in sage (can't set legend yet so read the
name).
http://stefan.guninski.com/oeisposter/

Note that the png images might contain compression artifacts
and I might well have screwed the coding/logic...

For other ideas check this mathoverflow post (discussing compression
visual artifacts):
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/77794/ascii-prime-plots-and-prime-rich-quadratic-polynomials