[seqfan] Re: The abc conjecture

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:38:47 CEST 2012

I tried searching for "ABC conjecture" and got 55 results, but
"ABC-conjecture" somehow narrows it down to 36 results. Either way, the
first result is A085153 <http://oeis.org/A085153>.

Whether the proof is validated or refuted, I think this bit of news is
worth an item in https://oeis.org/wiki/Template:Sequences_in_the_News

Al

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Peter Luschny <peter.luschny at gmail.com>wrote:

> The news is a little bit off topic here, I apologize.
>
> On the other side it's "tremendously exciting" news as Jordan Ellenberg
> says.
> For those who take interest in the ABC conjecture please look here:
> http://quomodocumque.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/mochizuki-on-abc/
>
> The man who probably proved the ABC conjecture is Shinichi Mochizuki.
> http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/top-english.html
>
> Note that even for experts it looks /very/ difficult. Let's see how
> things will play out; of course many people claimed prematurely that
> they have 'proved' some famous conjecture.
>
> ---
>
> Much could be done to improve http://oeis.org/wiki/Abc_conjecture
> See for example the informative page:
> http://www.math.unicaen.fr/~nitaj/abc.html
> Here is a nice introduction: http://thehcmr.org/issue1_1/elkies.pdf
>
> More specific, on the wiki a list of sequences could be compiled which
> are related to the ABC conjecture, for example the Wieferich primes:
> https://oeis.org/search?q=A001220.
>
> A search for abc-conjecture gives 36 results.
> https://oeis.org/search?q=abc-conjecture
> Perhaps an entry to the index could be added?
> https://oeis.org/wiki/Index_to_OEIS:_Section_Ab
>
> Peter

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>