[seqfan] Re: A problem of OEIS

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 01:01:33 CET 2013

In such a general, theoretical scenario, I think one of the first questions
the Editors would ask themselves is how much the contributor has made a
good faith effort to prove the two sequences are different (which in your
case, as a published author of mathematical journal articles, it would be
fair to assume that you indeed have).

Another initial question would be: what is the likelihood the two sequences
could turn out to be the same? As in the example Charles gave regarding the
even perfect numbers.

Along with the specific considerations, then the decision could go
something like this:

* The contributor has failed to prove the two sequences are different but
he made a very good try to prove it AND the likelihood of coincidence seems
to be split evenly; so the contributor is given the benefit of the doubt
and the new sequence is added to the OEIS.
* The contributor has failed to prove the two sequences are different and
he doesn't seem to have made any effort in that direction, plus the
likelihood of coincidence is estimated to be quite high; so the new
sequence is rejected.

Of course the specific details will differ and accordingly so will the
decision.

Al

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Vladimir Shevelev <shevelev at bgu.ac.il>wrote:

> In my own problem I now have proved a beautiful one-to-one correspondence
> between terms of A233334 and A124771. They indeed coincide, and I shall
> relocate all comments and Peter's b-file to A123771.
>  But I posed a general problem when not always a solution comes so fast.
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>