[seqfan] Re: Questions on A230492

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Thu Dec 26 16:56:28 CET 2013

I think it's likely that there are other squares in this sequence.

209^2 = 11^2*19^2 has prime signature p^2*q^2, so perhaps we should look for
other elements with this signature.

p^2*q^2 will be in A230492 if it satisfies the critical equality

[1]  1 + p + q + p^2 + p*q = q^2.

Solving [1] empirically for integer (p, q), we get solutions

(1, 3)
(11, 19)
(79, 129)
(545, 883)
(3739, 6051)
(25631, 41473)
(175681, 284259)
(1204139, 1948339)
(8253295, 13354113)
(56568929, 91530451)

The theory of quadratic Diophantine equations tells us that these solutions
will satisfy a set of linear recurrences. In this case we find that

p(n) = 7p(n-1) - p(n-2) + 3.
q(n) = 7q(n-1) - q(n-2) - 1.

or, if you like pure recurrences

p(n) = 8p(n-1) - 8p(n-2) + p(n-3).
q(n) = 8q(n-1) - 8q(n-2) + q(n-3).

With these recurrences, we can quickly generate (p, q) pairs satisfying [1].

With the tools at my disposal, I was only able to test q < 2^64, and in that
range (p, q) = (11, 19) was the only pair of primes I found. However, the
divisor patterns do not seem to rule out a larger pair of primes (p, q) for
which p^2*q^2 would be in A230492. Perhaps a seqfan with power tools could
find such a pair.

q^2-1=(p+1)*(p+q).