[seqfan] Re: Questions on A230492

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Thu Dec 26 21:21:35 CET 2013

I found no more pairs of primes for n <= 4440.
p(n) is the closest integer to 1/5*(sqrt(5)-1)*(7/2+3/2*sqrt(5))^n)-1
and q(n) is the closest integer to 2/5*(7/2+3/2*sqrt(5))^n.
Heuristically, the probability that p(n) and q(n) are both prime
is on the order of 1/n^2, so since sum_n 1/n^2 is finite we would
expect only finitely many such n.

Robert Israel
University of British Columbia and D-Wave Systems