[seqfan] Re: Editing someone else's comment

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Mon Jul 22 08:01:36 CEST 2013

Comments are often edited not just for spelling and grammar but also for
readability and to correct offset. Such changes were once recorded in the
Extensions field but in the new sequence format we have a history and so
these minor changes are recorded only there.

Mathematically significant changes are generally done by appending a new
comment. Some changes are done by editing the existing comment and
appending the name and date for the modification; an example might be to
give proper attribution:

This sequence is foo-multiplicative. - _John Smith_, Jan 01 2000 [This is a
result of Snarblatt, see references. - _Jane Yang_, Feb 29 2004]

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University