[seqfan] Re: near multiples of squares in Fibonacci, Lucas, Pell, etc. numbers

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 12:21:31 CEST 2013

The answer is No.
Notice that a * x^2 + b * x + c = 1/4 * ( (2ax + b)^2 + 4c - b^2 ) = A
* X^2 + B, where A and B are rational coefficients and X = 2ax+b.
I did not make it clear but theorem 7 (and theorem 5 it relies on)
works for rational coefficients and argument as well (via multiplying
equation/form by a suitable integer), implying that there could be
only a finite number of Fibonacci numbers of this form.
I will state this explicitly in the next revision.
Regards,
Max