[seqfan] Re: Symmetric group S_n as product of at most A225788(n) cyclic subgroups.

W. Edwin Clark wclark at mail.usf.edu
Sat May 25 22:47:51 CEST 2013

Concerning the sequence a(n) = smallest k such that the symmetric group S_n
is a product of  k cyclic subgroups:

I calculate that for n from 1 to 7 we have a = 1,1,2,3,3,4,4. I used GAP
and a more or less brute force approach. Perhaps someone can do better?
The computation depends on the number of distinct cyclic subgroups of S_n
--given by http://oeis.org/A051625  Note that for n = 8 there are 14170
cyclic subgroups. Using the fact that we can fix one of the cyclic
subgroups to be generated by an element in one of the p(8) = 15 conjugacy
classes of S_8, this still means that to prove that a(8) is not 4 (see
lower bound below) requires checking possibly 15*14170^3  = 42677680695000
products  of  4 cyclic subgroups of S_8.  Or am I missing something?

Using the idea in the paper by Miklos Abert  mentioned in A225788 it is
easy to see that if m is the maximal order of an element of of S_n (
http://oeis.org/A000793 ) then m^a(n) >= n! and hence a(n) >= log[m](n!).

The sequence log[m](n!), m = A000783(n):
      1,1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6,5,6,6,6,7,7,7,7,8,8,9,8,9,9,9,9,9,10,
at the beginning matches the sequence a, and apparently is not in the OEIS

--Edwin