[seqfan] Re: Symmetric group S_n as product of at most A225788(n) cyclic subgroups.

L. Edson Jeffery lejeffery2 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 00:56:49 CEST 2013

http://oeis.org/A000793 ) then m^a(n) >= n! and hence a(n) >= log[m](n!).

>The sequence log[m](n!), m = A000783(n):
>      1,1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6,5,6,6,6,7,7,7,7,8,8,9,8,9,9,9,9,9,10,
>at the beginning matches the sequence a, and apparently is not in the OEIS
>--Edwin

Edwin, I think you should submit your sequence, even though only the first
seven terms are verified. (More terms can be appended as they are worked
out.)

I don't know if the following will help or not. We have that not all
abelian groups are cyclic, but every cyclic group is abelian. Now,
according to another proof by Abért, if

f(n) = min(k | S_n is a product of k abelian subgroups),

then

f(2) = 1 and f(n+1) <= f(n) + 1.

So, does it follow that if

a(n) = min(j | S_n is a product of j cyclic subgroups),

then a(n) <= f(n)?

Ed Jeffery