[seqfan] Borderline numerology?

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 23:19:39 CEST 2014

I noticed this comment in http://oeis.org/A000796 (Decimal expansion of pi)

(quote)
A 144 X 144 magic square of 7th powers was recently constructed by
Toshihiro Shirakawa. The magic sum =
3141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105. Amazingly, the digits
of its magic sum are exactly the 52 first digits of Pi! See the MultiMagic
Squares link for details. - Christian Boyer, Dec 13 2013
(end quote)

Not really amazing if you ask me. Toshihiro Shirakawa intentionally chose
the sum and constructed a magic square around it.
I don't see any real relevance to pi, since almost any arbitrary sequence
of digits can be made into a magic sum of a suitably sized magic square.
Drawing any connection between pi and magic squares smells of numerology.

So, does, this comment really belong here?

Andrew