[seqfan] Re: A236019

Richard J. Mathar mathar at mpia-hd.mpg.de
Sun Jan 19 20:45:43 CET 2014

In http://list.seqfan.eu/pipermail/seqfan/2014-January/012307.html
Maximilian spake

mh> Furthermore, "greater" suggests a judgement, similar to "superior" ;
mh> from a scientific p.o.v., "more" or "larger" should be preferable.

This echoes my reasoning: smaller and larger are the simple arithmetic
relations in the cardinal numbers of basic mathematics, whereas "less"
corresponds to some measure of fuzzy judgment (like in "least of man") from
some set of philosophical or ethic values, or (in maths) to some measure in a
class defined by a weak order.
That does not mean much; perhaps it's my sort of native German language bias.

Richard Mathar