[seqfan] Re: ApSimon's Mints counterexample

David Applegate david at research.att.com
Fri Jun 20 18:34:58 CEST 2014

I can confirm Robert's minimum of 28 coins for 6 mints, and add 51 coins
for 7 mints, using (12,12,7,7,1,2,0) and (12,0,8,2,7,3,2).  I found
these using an exhaustive search written in C++.  In case someone is
interested, I've attached the undocumented (and not written to be
readable) source code.

The search took 2 seconds for 6 mints, and 29 minutes for 7 mints.
I'm running a search for 8 mints, which has established at least 59
coins, and is still running.  However, given the trend of nearly
doubling the number of coins for each additional mint, I expect that
the answer is over 100, and since the search space is (I believe)
exponential in the number of coins, that search is unlikely to get
there for a long time.

-Dave