[seqfan] Re: Algebraic numbers of high degree

Robert Israel risrael at dwavesys.com
Sun Nov 2 07:31:37 CET 2014

The point is that the astronomical unit, originally the average distance
from Earth to Sun, has been officially defined since 2012 as exactly
149597870700 metres.

I suppose if there were astronomers on Pluto, they might define their
"astronomical unit" as some fixed multiple of their fundamental unit of
distance, but there's no point in speculating on what that might be. Here
on Earth, there is no "astronomical unit for Pluto".

Cheers,
Robert Israel
(sending from another account because my UBC webmail seems to be
having issues)