[seqfan] Re: Sequence Idea

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 19:38:49 CEST 2014

The quadratic residues mod 7 are 1,2,4, the nonresidues are 3,5,6.
Zero is a square mod 7, but isn't usually regarded as a quadratic residue.

There are several questions about A248222.
1. How is it defined?
2. Why is a(7) = 3 ?
3. We ought to have "maximal gap between squares mod n" too.
4. There is the question of "consecutive" versus "all" (gap between
consecutive QR's seems more natural) - in fact, what does "gap" mean?
5. If we write the numbers mod 7 in a circle, it is natural to include 0.
Then we could look at gaps (between QRs, or between squares)

If n is not a prime, there is an even bigger difference between "squares"
and "QRs". For m to be a QR, we must have gcd(m,n) = 1.

In short, there might be 4 or 8 versions of this sequence