[seqfan] Re: Sequence Idea

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 20:54:40 CEST 2014

With all due respect, it seems to me that Neil is confusing the quadratic residues with the multiplicative group.
The elements of the multiplicative group mod n must be nonzero and coprime to the modulus.
The quadratic residues always include 0 and need not be coprime to the modulus.

I respectfully contend that, in the absence of stated or contextual assumptions (which do not exist here) the quadratic residues mod n are by definition the squares mod n.

With regard to gaps, there is also not much leeway for misinterpretation here.
Gaps (as in prime gaps) are the difference between consecutive elements of an ordered set (in this case, a cyclically ordered set).

With respect to a(7) = 3.
Mod 7, the quadratic residues, cyclically ordered, are (..., 0, 1, 2, 4, 0, 1, 2, 4, ....)
Their mod 7 gaps, also cyclically ordered, are (..., 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3, ....)
The largest gap is 3.