[seqfan] Re: Sequence Idea

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 19:27:58 CEST 2014

Thank you, Neil, for supporting your position. I stand corrected.

The two definitions of "n is a quadratic residue mod m" under discussion are as follows:
Unrestricted: n = k^2 (mod m)
Restricted: n = k^2 (mod m) and gcd(n, m) = 1.

I assume there are no other common definitions in the literature (i.e. n = k^2 (mod m), n != 0 (mod m) is not common enough to consider).

Both Wikipedia and MathWorld* "Quadratic Residue" articles give the unrestricted definition above as the main definition, but include citations for the restricted definition. I therefore concede that the restricted definition is a common enough, if not the most common, definition. Live and learn.

Given this, I agree with Neil that we should include a variant of the gap sequence (A248222) using the restricted definition.  I also agree with Neil that the two common definitions make the name "Maximal gap between quadratic residues mod n" ambiguous. I agree with Neil's proposal for "Maximal gap between squares mod n" for A248222, and propose "Maximal gap between quadratic residues mod n" for the variant sequence, with a comment defining quadratic residue as coprime to n, to allay any confusion.

To clear up a previous misstatement of mine: Under the restricted definition, 0 is still a quadratic residue mod 1 (but no modulus > 1), since gcd(0, 1) = 1. This means that a(1) is in fact defined in the variant gap sequence (a(1) = 1).

Note: I use Wikipedia and MathWorld as handy data points, not final authorities.

Wikipedia "Quadratic residue":
For this reason some authors add to the definition that a quadratic residue q must not only be a square but must also be relatively prime to the modulus n.

MathWorld "Quadratic residue":
Care must be taken when dealing with quadratic residues, as slightly different definitions are also apparently sometimes used. For example, Stangl (1996) adopts the apparently nonstandard definition of quadratic residue as an integer x satisfying 0<x<p such that x^2=q (mod p) and x is relatively prime to p.