[seqfan] Re: Variant Binary Representation and A068156

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Apr 18 01:17:19 CEST 2015

I am pretty sure that the smallest number so representable is represented by alternating 1's and 0's.[1] So, at step n, we are adding 2^(n-1) + 2^n = 3*2^(n-1), which agrees with A068156 (see the last formula there).

[1] This representation is not unique; as long as each pair has a 0 and a 1 you will get the same result. So, e.g., 1001 is as good as 1010.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters