[seqfan] Coordination sequences (was "more")

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 01:25:12 CET 2015

Joseph, If I recall correctly, for some crystals there can be a problem.

Let L be a periodic structure with a specified set of edges joining the
points.
These edges might be bonds joining atoms, or they might be
lines joining points that are (say) a knight's move apart, or a bishop's
move apart.

The edges won't in general all have the same Euclidean length, certainly,
not even in chemical applications.

Let P be a point of L, and define the n-th crystal ball C_n(P) to consist
of all points
of L that are <= n steps away from P. The number of points in C_n is the
n-th partial sum of
the coordination sequence at P.

We run into problems if C_n is not convex, which does happen. There is an
extensive discussion here:

 *Low-Dimensional Lattices VII: Coordination Sequences
<http://neilsloane.com/doc/Me220.pdf>*, J. H. Conway and N. J. A.
Sloane, *Proc.
Royal Soc. London, Series A*, 453 (1997), pp. 2369-2389.
(there is a link to it in A008458).

There were also several follow-up papers by other people

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com