[seqfan] Additional keywords for OEIS

Felix Fröhlich felix.froe at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:10:10 CET 2015

Dear SeqFans,

as some of you might know, there has been some discussion about the
addition of additional keywords to the OEIS. Most of what I found regarding
that discussion has taken place in the userspace of Charles Greathouse in
the OEIS Wiki. See
https://oeis.org/wiki/User_talk:Charles_R_Greathouse_IV/Keywords and
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Charles_R_Greathouse_IV/Keywords/Table and the
corresponding talk pages.

Personally I think the possibility to refine OEIS searches via specific
keywords is very useful and I often make use of that feature. The addition
of new keywords would allow one to get even more relevant results. For
example, Alex Ratushnyak in 2013 suggested the addition of a keyword 'prim'
that would allow one to find all sequences where all terms are prime. Two
obvious candidates for this keyword would be sequences like A000040
or A000043.

As I am not familiar with the technical aspects behind the OEIS database, I
would like to know how much work it would be to add new keywords to the
OEIS or whether it is technically possible at all (maybe it's just like
running an SQL query to update some database table, or maybe it requires
some complete rewrite of some part of the software underlying the OEIS, I
do not know). If it is technically feasible to do this and if those who
maintain the technical integrity of the OEIS think such a step would be
desirable, then as a next step we could collect suggestions regarding which
keywords would be useful.

What do others think?

Best regards

Felix Fröhlich