[seqfan] Re: How to calculate oblong root?

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Mon Jun 22 15:10:33 CEST 2015

Alonso,
do you have a reference for this precise*  definition of "oblong root" ?
(* it is not that precise, due to the fact that you define it only via its
floor and ceiling. You can add any random function with values between 0
and 1 to its floor and still have the same property. In particular you can
take the integer valued function you will find as inverse of the triangular
numbers (argument x 2) and add some small constant, e.g. 0.5)

It would seem more natural to me to define it as the inverse function of x
-> x (x+1) on the half line on which it is increasing.

I think in sequences related to triangular numbers and indexing functions
to triangular tables (the one that gives the row of the n-th element of a
triangle) you should find what you are looking for (up to the factor 2).

Maximilian