[seqfan] Re: Odd behavior in a sequence

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 21 03:10:37 CEST 2015

The solution of the recurrence with initial conditions a(0)=0, a(1)=1 is

a(n) = (s^n - t^n)/sqrt(17)

where s = (3+sqrt(17))/2 and t = (3-sqrt(17))/2 = -2/s. This works in any
field (not of characteristic 2 or 17) where 17 has a square root. Thus if p
is an odd prime and 17 is a quadratic residue mod p, say 17 == b^2 mod p,
we have a(n) == (s^n - t^n)/b mod p where s == (3+b)/2 and t == -2/s. Now
by Fermat's little theorem, a(n) is periodic in n with period at most p-1,
so in this case it's impossible to cover all the residues.

On the other hand, if 17 is not a quadratic residue mod p, you go to an
extension field, and it's possible that all residues will be covered.
However, this is not guaranteed. Thus for p = 683, s and t have order 396,
so at most 396 of the residues are covered (in fact only 177 are).

Note, by the way, that by quadratic reciprocity 17 is a quadratic residue
mod the odd prime p iff p is a quadratic residue mod 17, i.e. p == 1, 2, 4,
8, 9, 13, 15, or 16 mod 17.

Cheers,
Robert