[seqfan] Cannonicalizing factorization matrices

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Tue Aug 2 00:22:36 CEST 2016

It occasionally happens that I'm working with a number where it is
convenient to manipulate its factored form. Sometimes I will end up with a
matrix like

[2, 1; 3, 0; 5, 2]

(0 exponent) or

[2, 2; 7, 1; 3, 1]

(primes out of order). Conceivably it could even result in

[2, 1; 3, 1; 2, 1]

(primes appearing multiple times) although this has not happened to me yet.
Is there a good/standard/recommended way to do this?

Of course this can be achieved with factor(factorback(f)) but this throws
away the information I'm trying to preserve.

Charles Greathouse
Case Western Reserve University