[seqfan] Re: Project: sequences obtained from Gaussian Integers via Penney's binary method of encoding?

Graeme McRae graememcrae at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 04:07:31 CEST 2016

I can see that the number of symbols for each place value must equal the
square of the magnitude of the base, if the number system has any chance of
covering all the Gaussian integers. In other words, the number of different
n-digit numbers in this base must be about equal to the area of a circle of
radius |base|^n. So this particular base(2+i) has the interesting property
of allowing all 4 units plus zero (5 symbols in all), being this |base| is
sqrt(5).

A little experimentation using a crude tool (Excel) told me the numbers in
this base have unique values, so they must cover the Gaussian integers
completely. If I knew more math, I'm sure it would be obvious to me why
that's the case. :)

The distance you can get from the origin using a 7-digit base(2+i) number
can't exceed 5^0+5^(1/2)+5^1+5^(3/2)+5^2+5^(5/2)+5^3, or about 225.3, so I
thought it would be fun to see how far the "biggest" of these base(2+i)
numbers can get from the origin.

There are 62500 base(2+i) 7-digit numbers, but of course you only need to
check a quarter of them if you consider there are four rotations, (or an
eighth, if you consider reflections), and even fewer when you realize the
number can't have any zero-digits (else a unit in some direction would
extend it from the origin)...

...so 1 1 i i i i -1 in this base turns out to be -196+85i, the 7-digit
number farthest from the origin, at a distance of sqrt(45641), or about
213.6, about 95% of that upper bound of 225.3.

Thanks, Joerg Arndt, for drawing my attention to this interesting number
base.

--Graeme McRae
Palmdale, CA