[seqfan] Re: Contributing sequences with holes and infinities

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Fri Jun 17 17:32:42 CEST 2016

* Christian Stump <christian.stump at gmail.com> [Jun 17. 2016 17:02]:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder whether it is okay to submit a sequence
>
> 1. with holes: an example would be a sequence related to the packing
> problem which is now solved in dimensions 0,1,2,3,8,24. So I wanted to
> add a sequence where only these entries are known.

That's a bit of a problematic one (maintenance problem).
If you start with 1, you could put 0 for "unknown".

> 2. with infinity entries: an example would be the number of
> irreducible reflection groups of a given rank. This sequence is
> 1,1,infinity,3,5,3,4,4,4,3,3,3,3,... .

In this case (where 0 cannot occur) I'd put 0 for infinity.

Sometimes -1 is a (somewhat fugly) way out if known terms
are non-negative.

> Please Ignore my ignorance, a link to the information would be
> appreciated, but i haven't found anything on the oeis website.

It's often a judgement call: if looking at it makes you unwell.
then it may be the better option to not submit.

Best regards,   jj